It has been estimated that Americans spend twenty-three billion dollars per year on vitamins and supplements. With that kind of investment, you would think that we would all be disease and illness free. Obviously, that is not the case.
Sometimes the obvious answers are the most difficult to recognize. Nature and our human physiology provides the simple answer. And once you read this information, it will probably make a lot of sense to you too.
“Houston, we have a problem”
A study in 2003 by the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force concluded there is “insufficient evidence to recommend vitamin supplements as a way to prevent cancer or heart disease” (the two leading causes of death in our country). A study in 2004 by the American Heart Association returned similar findings. So what may be the issue?
Our bodies are synergistic organisms. We are made up of systems and cells that, by design, work together as a whole. That is how we are naturally made. Each part, each organ and system, is made better by the whole.
Now consider vitamin supplements…a multi-vitamin is made up of 15-25 individual “vitamins” (e.g. vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C, etc.). Did you ever think about where those vitamins come from? Although some may be derived from a natural source, in many cases they are synthetically made. So a chemical engineer might extract Vitamin A from an apple in order to create mass quantities for a supplement. But what is left behind?
Did you know an apple contains over 10,000 phytonutrients? Perhaps an apple, like the human body, works best as a whole to provide the optimum nutrition from each of its nutrients…conversely, the nutrients when isolated, may providelittle or no benefit.
Where do the vitamins go?
Estimates show that up to ninety-seven percent (97%) of vitamin supplements ingested orally may be eliminated through human waste. So out of the twenty-three billion dollars spent on vitamins annually, twenty-two billion, three hundred ten million dollars worth ($22,310,000,000) may be “peed out”!
The problem is poor Bioavailability
(Hang with me here…this is important)
In order for any nutrient to be of value to the body, it must be absorbed into the body and enter the blood stream.
This is known as Systemic Circulation.
Isolated vitamin supplements, have a very low level of bioavailability, and therefore result in poor Systemic Circulation (that is often why they are given in “mega-doses”).
There are many factors for the low-absorption rates, so I will focus on two primary and related factors: the “Signature of Food” and “Biological Specificity”.
Have you ever noticed how the kidney bean is shaped just like a kidney, the walnut closely resembles the brain, or the cross-section of a carrot looks like an eye?
Did you know…
- That the kidney bean provides nutrients that specifically support the function of human kidneys
- Walnuts aid in the development of three dozen neuron-transmitters in the brain
- And remember how “mom” used to say “eat your carrots because they are good for your eyes”… well science has shown that is true
All foods in their natural form have “signatures” that the body recognizes. Signature recognition enhances bioavailability. And when the nutrients are recognized and absorbed, like a hand fits in a glove, biological specificity occurs. This ensures that the body sends the nutrient to the right place…matching it with the appropriate corresponding molecule and derives benefit from it.
I just won’t bother taking vitamins
Okay, we’ve just made a compelling case for not taking vitamin supplements (maybe you don’t anyhow)…but is that the answer? In 2005, cancer passed heart disease as the leading cause of death. That is not because we have done a great job in reducing heart disease; the incidence of heart disease is still rising, but cancer is increasing at a faster rate. The most troubling part is not only that these diseases are growing so rapidly (diabetes too), but especially the fact that we are seeing an increase of cancers and heart disease in young people (even teens).
So what has shown to positively impact those diseases?
Simply put, diets rich in a variety of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables naturally contain the phytonutrients and antioxidants that have been proven effective in reducing the risk for disease. Since nature provides the answer to reducing the risk for disease and illness, why is it still such a problem?
We’re not getting enough
According to USDA government recommendations, adults should consume 7-13 servings per day of a variety of fruits and vegetables.
How many of us can honestly say that we do that every day? Not only is it difficult to consume that many different fruits and vegetables each day, but it is costly too. Although numerous clinical studies have shown that whole food nutrition (especially fully-ripened, fresh fruits and vegetables) is the single most effective way to provide the human body with the phytonutrients and antioxidants we need, other studies show that most people aren’t even close to their daily recommended amounts.
So how can we make up the difference?
In 1993, the need was recognized and a product was developed which addresses the nutritional problem… Juice Plus+®. Juice Plus+® is based on whole food nutrition. It utilizes 17 fruits, vegetables and grains, picked at the peak of ripeness (when plants contain the most nutrients). An innovative and proprietary process is then used to safely juice and convert the plants into a convenient and effective form (capsules and soft chewables). Juice Plus+® enables everyone to help bridge the nutritional gap.
But is it better than vitamins?
Although nothing beats fresh, raw fruits and vegetables, numerous studies indicate that Juice Plus+® is the next best thing. Since Juice Plus+® is made from the whole fruit/veggie, it maintains and delivers the phytonutrients in their synergistic form (remember the apple has over 10,000 phytonutrients, not just vitamin A). And because it is based on the whole food, it maintains the “Food Signature”, which greatly facilitates the nutrient recognition, absorption and delivery to our bodies (Bioavailability). In other words, the nutrients of 17 whole fruits, vegetables and grains go into our blood stream to nourish and strengthen our bodies and protect our cells.
How do we know it works?
The science proves it. Juice Plus+® is the most studied whole food nutritional product in the world – by far. Here is a partial list of some of the prestigious institutions who have/are performing studies on Juice Plus+®:
|Brigham Young University
• Charité University, Berlin, Germany
• Georgetown University
• Kings College in London
• Medical University of Graz, Austria
• Medical University of Vienna
• Tokyo Women’s Medical University, Japan
• University of Arizona
• University of Birmingham, England
• University of California, Los Angeles
• University of Florida
• University of Maryland School of Medicine
|University of Milan, Italy
• University of Mississippi Medical Center
• University of North Carolina-Greensboro
• University of South Carolina
• University of Sydney in Australia
• University of Texas Health Science Center
• University of Texas/MD Anderson
• University of Würzburg, Germany
• Vanderbilt University
• Wake Forest University
(with the NCI-National Institutes of Health)
• Yale University-Griffin Hospital
Prevention Research Center
The studies have been published in these journals and others:
- The Journal of Nutrition
- Integrative Medicine
- The Journal of American College of Cardiology
- Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise
- Journal of American College of Nutrition
- Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Nutrition Research
- Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
And what does the research reveal about Juice Plus+®?
- It’s absorbed by the body (highly bioavailable)
- It strengthens the immune system
- It reduces oxidative stress (Oxidative stress contributes to the creation of “free radicals”. Billions of free radicals are created in our bodies every day. The free radicals associated with oxidative stress are very destructive to our cells and have been directly linked to heart diseases, cancers, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, etc. A peeled apple or banana turns brown due to this same oxidative damage)
- It protects DNA (DNA is damaged by oxidative stress. Research demonstrates Juice Plus+® helps to protect your DNA)
- It positively impacts several key indicators of cardiovascular wellness
Doctors Recommend Juice Plus+®
The quantity and quality of the clinical research sets Juice Plus+® apart from other products.That is why prominent health professionals throughout the world recommend Juice Plus+® to their patients, family and friends…and take it themselves. The number of physicians prescribing Juice Plus+® is impressive and includes many different kinds of doctors and specialists including Cardiologists, Oncologists, Pediatricians, Internists, Surgeons, Nutritionists, Research Biologists, and even Dentists, among others.
These doctors fully understand:
- The importance of eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables for disease prevention and good health
- The reality that adults rarely, if ever get the daily recommended servings (and consider how difficult it is to get children to eat their veggies too!)
- That Whole Food Nutrition maintains synergistic integrity and provides the phytonutrients and antioxidants that isolated vitamin supplements simply cannot
- The science and research fully support the efficacy and effectiveness of Juice Plus+®
- The simple truth that Juice Plus+® is the next best thing to eating fresh fruits and vegetables and it provides a convenient and affordable way for you and your family to fill the nutritional gap
And that is why we recommend Juice Plus+® Too!
The need is obvious, the science is compelling, the medical community endorses it, and the product is beyond reproach. Juice Plus+® provides a simple, convenient and affordable way for adults and children to be assured they are getting the nutritional support their bodies need.